mushroom pesto pasta
from the kitchen of mr. pete's
Essentials for the Pasta
3/4 pound short pasta, like farfalle, gemelli, or shells
1 tablespoon of mr. pete's
10 ounces cremini mushrooms, sliced
Pinch of salt + pepper
Essentials for the Pesto
1/3 cup roasted almonds, pistachios, or walnuts, or toasted pumpkin or sunflower seeds
1 medium garlic clove, roughly chopped
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon white miso
1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1/4 cup of mr. pete's
- Boil a large pot of water for the pasta.
- Heat mr. pete's olive oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add the mushrooms, salt, and pepper, and cook until golden brown, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Make the pesto. In a food processor, combine the basil, nuts, and garlic. Pulse until everything is broken down. Then add the lemon juice, miso, salt, and pepper. With the motor running, gradually stream in mr. pete's olive oil and puree until smooth. Taste and adjust the seasonings, if needed.
- Generously salt the boiling water and cook the pasta according to package directions until al dente.
- Drain the pasta and return to the pot. Add the mushrooms and pesto and toss to combine.